Thursday, March 31, 2011

Tangled Up in Blue

Today was a big, big day. It was one that Dan and I have been anticipating for months: our 21 week ultrasound and check up where we would learn the sex of our baby! Prior to our visit, both my work friends and Dan's co-workers were taking bets on whether the baby would be a boy or a girl. The general consensus at Mac Med was that it was a boy, while over at EMC, everyone seemed to think girl. After all, the Chinese gender chart said it was going to be a girl . . . . 

When we arrived at the hospital and were walking to the Women's Care Center, Dan and I were very excited. We knew that we would probably never forget this day, and we understood what a big moment it was going to be in our lives. In the exam room, we immediately told the technician that we wanted to know the sex. She spent about 15 minutes showing us all of the baby's anatomy: feet, legs, heart (all four chambers), blood flow, spine, brain, kidneys, stomach . . . . I think she liked saving the best for last! Finally, we said, "Can you tell the sex?" She looked around some more and said that the baby was turned slightly away, so it was a little difficult to tell. And then, without warning (and with excitement--I think she got caught up in our excitement!), she exclaimed, "It's a boy!"

Dan and I were both very excited (Dan especially, because, while he won't admit it, I think he really wanted it to be a boy. But he will tell you that it's because he always knew it was going to be a boy). We were also happy and relieved to learn that the baby is healthy and HE is developing as HE should be! His heart rate is 160 and he is about 11 inches long--just right for a his age, which is 21 weeks!

Here are a few photos from today.
So that's what's been kicking me! The foot!
Full profile. You can see the feet and hands!

Another profile.

See the arrow? It's pointing to the male reproductive organs. Proof that it's a boy!




After the ultrasound, we had a quick visit with our doctor who also confirmed that all is well with the pregnancy! This will most likely be the last of the ultrasound pics. We learned that we don't get any more ultrasounds unless something is wrong. So while I would love to see him again, if it means that something bad has to happen for an ultrasound, then I don't want one! I guess we'll all just have to wait until August to meet him! Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment